cynthia e fruchtman
Ms. Fruchtman is a highly successful and seasoned civil litigator, with extensive experience handling complex Business Litigation cases, Intellectual Property, Labor and Employment, and Real Estate Litigation.
Northwestern University (B.A. 1979); IIT Chicago-Kent College of Law (J.D. 1986)
Founder/Principal The Law Offices of Cynthia E. Fruchtman, 1997 to present; Partner, Richman, Lawrence, Mann, Greene, Chizever.
Martindale-Hubbell’s A-V rating, its highest rating for Legal Ability and Integrity; Guest Lecturer, University of California Los Angeles Law School, 1987-1990; Adjunct Professor: California State University, Los Angeles, 1991-1992; Whittier Law School, 1993-1997; Mediator, Los Angeles County Superior and Municipal Courts, 2002-2008; Arbitrator, Los Angeles County Superior and Municipal Courts, 1991-1997.
Co-Author: “Ethical Aspects of Genetic Testing,” Whittier Law Review; “Advising California Employers Supplement”; “Genetic Testing in Assisted Reproduction,” Hastings Center Report; Author: “Equal Employment Law Development,” CEB Business Law Quarterly; “Reducing Employer Liability to Whistleblowers,” California Business Law Practitioner; “Advising California Lawyers and Employees”; “Whistleblower Issues”; Reviewer: Practice Under the California Family Code, “Parentage”
SES Employment Law and Landlord-Tenant Law Updates; HIPAA for Employers; Sexual Harassment in the Workplace; American Bar Association (Family Law, Estate Planning, Reproduction; Medical Education Speakers Network; Health Law Symposium, Whittier Law School.
Admitted to Bar California 1986; CEB Business & Intellectual Property Law Advisory Committee; Los Angeles County Bar Association (Bioethics Committee, Former Co-Chair)
- Successfully prosecuted and defended multiple cases involving breach of contract, fraud, tort, real estate, partnership and control disputes and completion disputes.
- Won cases and injunctions against former employees for unfair competition, unfair business practices, and misappropriation of trade secrets and proprietary business information;
- Won judgments and obtained favorable settlements for business owners against unfair business practices, unfair competition, breach of contract and fraud;
- Successfully represented employers and employees in numerous litigation, arbitration and mediation matters against claims of wrongful termination, unlawful harassment, discrimination, wage and hour violations, exempt and independent contractor status, breach of contract and other workplace related issues;
- Favorably settled wage and hour class actions on behalf of employers;
- Counseled numerous employers and employees with respect to employment contracts, employee handbooks, audits, management training, wage and hour issues, exempt status, independent contractor agreements, leaves of absence, disability, discrimination and harassment complaints, litigation holds, investigations and resolution of workplace issues, substance abuse, discipline and terminations, downsizing and layoffs, trial and claim avoidance;
- Negotiated partnership, vendor, lease and sales agreements for business owners;
- Successfully prosecuted and defended construction defects cases;
- Favorably resolved an involuntary bailment action involving commercial property;
- Obtained fraud judgment against debtor in bankruptcy.
- Defeated preference claim in bankruptcy for manufacturer of goods.
- Successfully defended producer in arbitration brought by Muhammed Ali for breach of contract, for false light, interference with prospective economic advantage, and related business torts.
- Retained to file as amicus in the California Supreme Court regarding the appropriate standards for a court appointed guardian’s power;
- Served as arbitrator and mediator in many cases for the Los Angeles Superior Court.