benjamin c. johnson
Mr. Johnson specializes in civil litigation with an emphasis on intellectual property, trade secrets, entertainment, and partnership and business litigation, as well as, the representation of businesses both as general counsel and as litigation counsel. Mr. Johnson has represented individuals and companies in cases involving fraud, breach of contract, trade secret misappropriation, copyright and trademark infringement, interference with contractual relations and prospective economic advantage, unfair business practices, breach of fiduciary duty, negligence, conspiracy, conversion, and undue influence.
Mr. Johnson regularly assists, counsels and advises his clients with respect to business formation and corporate structure, protection of assets, negotiation of contracts and other business matters relating to the fields of entertainment, telecommunications, technology and real estate.
Brigham Young University (B.A. English, 1996); Brigham Young University, J. Reuben Clark Law School (J. D., cum laude, 2001); Brigham Young University Law Review, Senior Editor; Chairperson, Student Bar Association
Senior Counsel, The Boesch Law Group since 2003; Quinn, Emanuel, Urquhart, Oliver & Hedges, LLP, Los Angeles
- Numerous favorable judgments and settlements involving shareholder and partnership disputes, breach of contract and fiduciary duties in various industries including telecommunications, entertainment, manufacturing, real estate and hospitality.
- Numerous favorable judgments and settlements in entertainment litigation for production companies, directors, writers and talent involving creative rights, breach of contract and property acquisition.
- Numerous favorable judgments and settlements involving personal injuries, property damage, motor vehicle accidents, professional negligence and premises liability.
- Successful representation of various shareholders, members and partners related to business entity formation, compliance, contract drafting and negotiations, and as general counsel.
- Successful representation of various entertainment production companies, directors, writers and talent relating to contract drafting and negotiations, and as general counsel.
- Achieved a favorable settlement for telecommunications company in a trade secrets misappropriation case involving theft of customer lists by former employees.
- Achieved a favorable settlement for manufacturing company in a trade secrets misappropriation case involving theft of customer lists by former sales manager.
- Successfully represented a shipping company in a breach of contract case involving an oral agreement where a final judgment of $3.1 million was ultimately obtained.
- Achieved a favorable settlement in a partnership dispute relating to $50 million buyout by a major hotel chain of a resort in Mexico.
- Successfully represented major home manufacturer in multiple construction defect suits throughout California.
- Successfully represented major metropolitan newspaper in an employee lawsuit for discrimination, and time and wage violations.
- Achieved a favorable settlement for manufacturing company in a breach of contract case relating to a letter-of-credit issued from a major South American bank.
- Achieved favorable judgments and settlements for popular restaurant chain including claims of negligence involving a bar fight, ADA violations, and wage and hour violations.