Motor Vehicle Accidents FAQs

What should I do if I am in an accident?

Regardless of how minor you think the accident is, you should always report it to the police. Write down names, addresses and phone numbers of any witnesses, and make sure the police officer gives you a copy of the driver exchange information form. Call your insurance agent and your insurance company immediately for further instructions. If you do not report the accident, the insurance company may deny payment of any claims you file subsequently. Your insurance company must notify you within thirty days of receiving proper notice of the claim whether it will pay or deny your claim or that it is investigating the claim.

If the accident is not my fault, do I have to let my own insurer know about it, and, if I do, will they raise my insurance premiums?

Yes, you need to inform your insurance company of the accident, whether it is an auto or motorcycle accident. California is a no-fault automobile accident state. That means your insurance company is required to pay for your medical expenses up to a certain amount, depending on the policy you purchased.

What if I received a traffic citation stating I was the cause of the accident? Do I still have a case?

That depends. If the accident was not completely your fault, you can still recover damages from the other driver for the portion of the accident that was his or her fault. California allows injured parties to bring claims against others even if they were partially at fault.

DISCLAIMER: The materials on this website are for general information purposes only and should not be construed as legal advice, legal opinion or any other advice on any specific facts or circumstances. Readers should not act or refrain from acting upon this information without seeking professional advice.

Transmission of information on or by use of this website is not intended to create, and receipt does not constitute, a lawyer-client relationship between the sender and receiver. Such communications will not be treated as confidential. Photographs and other graphics may be for dramatization purposes only and may include models. Likenesses do not necessarily imply current client, partnership or employee status.

Call Now To

Schedule A Consultation

If you are seeking the most skilled and qualified representation, contact the Boesch Law Group today to schedule a consultation.