Philip W. Boesch Jr
Philip W. Boesch, Jr. is the founder of the Boesch Law Group, a graduate with honors from Brown University, and a graduate with distinction from Duke University School of Law, where he served as Note and Comment Editor of the Duke Law Journal. After joining the national law firm Gibson, Dunn & Crutcher following law school, Mr. Boesch founded Kinsella, Boesch, Fujikawa & Towle, and then in 2000, he founded the Boesch Law Group.
Further enhancing a reputation for integrity with Judges and Arbitrators, the California Judges Association has honored Mr. Boesch three times with the request that he author new editions of the Judges’ Handbook for media access to Court proceedings. For the American Arbitration Association, he has served regularly for decades as an Arbitrator on its Large Complex Case Panel, from which he has been selected by more than 290 law firms to decide their clients’ disputes; and he has further been honored by Resolution of the Mayor and Los Angeles City Council for leadership in the public interest on environmental issues and policy.
Mr. Boesch’s clients have won Academy Awards, Emmy Awards, Grammy Awards, Golden Mike Awards, Clio Awards, NBA Championships and NBA MVP Awards, NHL Championships and NHL MVP Awards, World Boxing Titles, Olympic Gold Medals, Thea Awards for Themed Entertainment, and many other awards, and multiples of each. Unrelenting focus upon a client’s success has been the foundation for this lawyer’s career.
As an experienced advocate and accomplished trial lawyer, every year for more than 25 years, Philip Boesch has been honored as a “Super Lawyer” and “AV” rated by Martindale-Hubbell, the highest possible rating levels for competence and integrity reserved for the top 2% of the legal profession. Among his honors in landmark cases, Mr. Boesch won a $475 million Judgement named by U.S. Lawyers Weekly as the “Number One Judgement in the Nation;” he obtained the largest wrongful death judgement and recovery for non-economic loss in California history; he represented 26 of the 27 Southern California news anchorpersons in the first and leading case permitting television cameras in the courtroom; and he has successfully defended free speech for the Los Angeles Times, and for the Wall Street Journal against all major oil companies in the leading case for public access to federal court files.
A long-time environmental advocate, he presently serves the non-profit TreePeople as Chairman of its Board of Directors, and previously served the environmental non-profit Heal the Bay as its President.
As a result of his appearances in many cases of public interest, and many cases involving public figures and celebrities, Philip Boesch is well-known in media circles, having appeared as an expert legal commentator on CNN, MSNBC, ABC, CBS, NBC, FOX, Insider, ET, Larry King, Geraldo, and Paula Zahn, among others.
Brown University (A.B., cum laude 1971); Duke University School of Law (J.D., with distinction 1974), Note and Comment Editor, Duke Law Journal.
Founder/Principal The Boesch Law Group, 2000 to present; Founder/Principal Kinsella, Boesch, Fujikawa and Towle; Attorney, Litigation, Gibson, Dunn & Crutcher.
U.S. Lawyers Weekly “No. 1 Judgment in the Nation;” Honored by Resolution of the City Council and Mayor of Los Angeles for public service; Honored as a “Super Lawyer;” “AV” rated by Martindale-Hubbell, the highest rating level for competence and the highest rating level for integrity.
California Judges' Association Media Handbook, “Cameras in the Courtroom;” “Unfair Advertising: The Reasonable Basis Test,” Duke Law Journal; “The Equalizer” for Westside Today, “Building Bridges (Settlement);” “One Against A Billion (Anna Nicole’s daughter);” “Right to Privacy;” “David and Goliath (Wrongful Death);” “There Was Something About Mary (Aiding and Abetting);” “No Cold Case for This Murder (JFK)”.
Beverly Hills Estate Planning Council on Lessons from the Anna Nicole Smith Case; Society for Telecommunications Consultants on Developments in Telecommunications; Screen Actor’s Guild on Rights of Children in the Entertainment Business; American Arbitration Association on Conduct of Hearings and Awards, Conduct of Arbitration, and Developments in Arbitration; Appearances as an expert commentator on CNN, Larry King, Paula Zahn, Geraldo, MSNBC, ABC, CBS, NBC, FOX, Insider, ET, among others.
Admitted to Bar California; U.S. District Court, Northern, Eastern, Central and Southern Districts of California; U.S. Court of Appeals, Ninth Circuit; U.S. Supreme Court; admitted pro hac vice before U.S. District Courts and state trial courts in California, Hawaii, Arizona, Nevada, New York, North Carolina, and Tennessee; State Bar of California; Board of Directors and then President, Heal the Bay 1995-2006.
- Won for plaintiffs and defendants numerous judgments and settlements involving intellectual property, trade secrets, unfair competition, unfair business practices, passing off, trademark infringements, and related business torts
- Won numerous judgments and settlements in trust, estate and probate litigation involving competence, undue influence, tortious interference, family issues, fiduciary duties, will and trust construction, from multi-billion dollar estates to modest disputes for clients in need
- Numerous successful prosecutions to judgment and settlement of cases involving serious personal injuries, property damage, and wrongful death due to negligence, products liability, motor vehicle accidents, aviation disasters, floods, fire, landslides, professional negligence and premises liability
- Have counseled numerous businesses related to telecommunications, media, entertainment, production and post-production, in growth opportunities, contracts, debtor/creditor issues, litigation avoidance, strategy, due diligence and employer liability
- Won numerous judgments and settlements involving shareholder and partnership issues over breaches of contracts, and fiduciary duties in numerous industries, including entertainment, law, accounting, automobiles, telecommunications and manufacturing
- Won numerous judgments and settlements in entertainment litigation, for production companies, management, networks, entrepreneurs and talent, involving defense and prosecution of creative rights, talent management, television and film syndication, contracts and contract breach, and net profits accountings for films and television series, from cartoons to wrestling, reality to comedy and drama
- Prevailed in numerous commercial cases involving acquisitions, asset sales, mergers, contract breach and covenants not to compete in businesses from hotels and restaurants to toys, from phones and cars to real property
- Successfully handled hundreds of lawsuits, settlements, negotiations and litigation avoidance counseling, involving breaches of contracts in industries of all types, from retail consumer businesses to entertainment to manufacturing to real estate
- Won numerous judgments and settlements, and successfully completed negotiations and contracts, involving the distribution of products and services, from newspapers to telecommunications equipment, from oil filters to advertising
- Won numerous judgments and settlements in prosecution and defense of copyright infringement and theft of idea cases for plaintiffs and defendants, involving business catalogs, software, literary rights, implied in fact and implied in law contracts, music catalogs, motion picture and television production, manufacturing of consumer products, formulas, formats and designs
- Won numerous judgments and settlements in prosecution and defense of name and likeness, privacy, defamation and tradenames, involving consumer products and endorsements to restaurant chains to celebrities and rock and roll bands
- Successful prosecution of numerous products liability cases, involving responsibility for catastrophic injuries and wrongful death related to airplanes, automobiles, fuses, explosives, tools, equipment, scaffolding and other products
- Won numerous judgments and settlements in prosecution and defense of premises liability cases, involving responsibility for wrongful death and serious injury due to ski accident, security breach, mayhem, store slip and fall, malfunctioning garage doors, and brain injury
- Won numerous judgments and settlements in real estate and real property litigations, involving boundary disputes, breaches of contract, trespass, nuisance, environment liability, waste, faulty construction, property damage, fire and catastrophic loss
- Successful representation, trial and trial avoidance, negotiation, settlement and alternative dispute resolution of sensitive personal matters relating to personal relationships, children’s rights, marital dissolution and property division
- Representation of individuals dealing with personal tragedy and private disputes, from neighbors to NBA superstars
- Representative arbitrations as an arbitrator include a similarly diverse range of large and complex matters